We will pedal touching the main landmarks of the Neapolitan city: from Via Nazario Sauro to the suggestive "liberated" promenade of Via Caracciolo, to Piazza del Plebiscito with its Royal Palace and the Basilica of San Francesco di Paola, from there we will cross the characteristic streets of the historic center of Naples, passing through Piazza del Gesù we will head towards the Chapel of San Severo, where it will be possible to visit the Veiled Christ but only by advance booking. We will cycle along the two main streets of the historic center, "Via Benedetto Croce", called "Spacca Napoli" and "Via dei tribunali", along which we will find the Basilica of Santa Chiara and the Church of Gesù Nuovo. Finally, Via Toledo, the Neapolitan shopping street, with its cultural life, squares, churches and noble palaces.
ITINERARY IN BRIEF
Total km in Bike about 10 km. – Total difference in altitude about 118 m.
Meeting with the Guide and technical assistance
for the starting briefing: in Piazza del Plebiscito,
Napoli at about 10:00 a.m.
Starting tour at about 10:30 a.m.
Duration without visits: about 2 hours.
Duration with visit: about 3 hours.
*On request it is possible to change the starting point
of the tour and the timetable according to your needs.
Points of Interest:
Sansevero's Chapel (Veiled Christ): The assignment to execute the veiled Christ was at first entrusted to the sculptor Antonio Corradini. However, died a shortly thereafter, he had time to realize only a terracotta sketch that today is at the National Museum of San Martino. The commission thus passed to Giuseppe San Martino, who made a work where the Dead Christ, lying on a mattress is covered with a veil that adheres to its forms. The mastery of the Neapolitan sculptor is in being able to convey the suffering that Christ experienced the moments before the Crucifixion through the composition of the veil, from which, there are signs on the face and body of the martyrdom suffered. At the foot of the sculpture, finally, the artist sculpts even the crown of thorns, pliers and nails.
Basilica di Santa Chiara: or the monastery of Santa Chiara, is a monumental church building. The basilica has its entrance on Via Benedetto Croce, on the northeastern side of Piazza del Gesù Nuovo, in front of the homonymous church and adjacent to that of the Poor Clares.
It is the largest gothic church in the city, characterized by a monastery which includes four monumental cloisters, archaeological excavations in the surrounding area and several other rooms in which is housed the Museum of the same name. It includes also the visit to the nuns' choir, with remains of frescoes by Giotto, a large refectory, the sacristy and other basilicas environments.
Cathedral of Naples: The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is a monumental basilica seat of the Archdiocese of Naples.The cathedral is located on the east side of the homonymous street, in a small square surrounded byporticoes, and encompasses the other two side cult chapels built independently than the cathedral: the basilica of Santa Restituta, which houses the oldest baptistry of the West, the San Giovanni in Fonte's one, and the royal chapel of the San Gennaro's treasure, which houses the relics of the patron of the city. It is one of the largest and most important churches in the city, both from an artistic point of view, it is in fact the superposition of styles ranging from pure fourteenth century Gothic to the nineteenth-century neo-Gothic, and from a cultural point of view, in fact, hosting three times a year the rite of the dissolution of the blood of San Gennaro.
Church of the New Jesus: It is one of the most important churches in the city, among the most concentrated concentrations of baroque painting and sculpture to which some of the most influential artists of the Neapolitan school have worked. Inside, the body of St. Joseph Moscati was preserved, which was populated by Pope John Paul II in 1987. Originally insisted in that area the Sanseverino palace, designed and completed in 1470 by Novello da San Lucano for
the express wish of Roberto Sanseverino prince of Salerno. When they entered the palace, the Jesuits commissioned their confreres Giuseppe Valeriano and Pietro Provedi to renovate the whole complex. They completely stole the sumptuous palace, not sparing either the splendid rooms or the gardens; The only parts that saved themselves were the façade of bugen and the marble renaissance portal.
The Royal Palace: Located in Piazza del Plebiscito, in the historic center of Naples, where is the main entrance. The entire complex, including the gardens and the San Carlo theater, also overlooks Piazza Trieste and Trento, Piazza del Municipio and Via Acton.
It was the historic residence of the Spanish viceroys for more than 150 years, from the Bourbon dynasty from 1734 to 1861, interrupted only for a decade at the beginning of the 19th century by French rule with Giuseppe Bonaparte and Gioacchino Murat, Italy, Savoie: Surrendered in 1919 by Vittorio Emanuele III of Savoy to
the state estate, is mainly used as a museum center, in particular the Royal Apartments, and is home to the National Library. The Royal Palace was built from 1600 to reach its definitive appearance in 1858: many architects such as Domenico Fontana, Gaetano Genovese, Luigi Vanvitelli, Ferdinando Sanfelice and Francesco Antonio Picchiatti participated in its construction and related restoration work.
Cost per person*
3/4 pax € 45.00/person
Not included services:
Admission to museums;
Supplement MTB, trekking: € 12.00;
Supplement e-bike: € 20,00.
Supplement for 1/2 pax: 15,00€ per person
Customized tours on request.
*booking and more info send an email to: email@example.com
**for this tour, I Rent Bike gives you a city bike, really comfortable for city routes